So two Sundays ago, kind of late in the afternoon, Oga decided he wanted to invite a few of his friends over for dinner. Now, let me pre-empt the rest of this post by stating that Oga is the real chef in the house, as in experienced in running restaurants. It’s just that he, like myself, also wears another hat, wears a suite to work 5-days a week. So, yes, this Sunday afternoon, which I had planned to just chill and catch up on the shows I recorded off of DsTV was now going to be spent planning a last minute dinner with friends. Now, I don’t ever reject these suggestions because they are cool times in our house as we bond around something we both enjoy – cooking. So, as Oga planned the menu I was assigned to prepping the salad and setting the table. Sound easy? Well the table setting part was, but all the grand plans I had for a different kind of salad failed when I looked into the fridge and realized my options were limited in terms of fresh veggies and I had barely any lettuce left.
So what does a diva do when you’ve got guests headed over and a salad to make with limited options? Invent something. So, I apologize for not showing you the step-by-step prep for this. I promise to do a full post on that soon. Anyhoot, I prepped and platted this little number in 30 minutes and I must say, I am proud of myself. Now we ran out of time so I had to put down my camera and actually get things sorted for dinner, but one of these days I will also share what Oga turned out as well – baked fish fillets, with fettuccine in a pesto sauce. Yum! and Yum! Here is my cucumber salad with lemon pepper Nigerian tiger prawns.
Nigerian Tiger prawns are enormous. They are actually exported outside of Nigeria. I’ll talk about these puppies again in a later post.
And my other task for the evening was to set the dinner table. Not too shabby (if I may say so myself)!
Recipe (serves six)
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 small bunch of lettuce
- Olive oil
- Lemon pepper dressing
- 12 Nigerian tiger prawns
- Peel and dice the cucumber
- Wash and shred the lettuce leaves
- Mix the vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper together in a jug (or cup) and set aside
- Toss the lettuce and cumber together in a bowl and set aside
Tiger prawns preparation
- Pre-heat the oven at 180C/350F/gas mark #4
- Peel, devein and wash the tiger prawns
- place in a bowl, pour in olive oil, lemon pepper seasoning, black pepper
- Toss the prawns to coat in the dressing (you can leave these to sit and marinade for 1 hour if you have the time)
- Please even spaced on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 30 minutes
- When done, remove from the oven and let them stand for about 10 minutes
Plating it all up
- Toss the lettuce and cucumber with the vinegar dressing
- Place salad on a salad plate
- Place two prawns on each plate and grind some pepper corns over the salad (optional: for more flavor and presentation)