Plantain breakfast cup cakes. That’s what came to mind when I starred at my bunch of plantains that were on their way to becoming over ripe before I could figure out what to cook with them (again). I quit frying my plantains ages ago and have resorted to baking which is much healthier. So how was this going to pan out? Well, it was going to be quick and easy, but most of all healthy and delicious! All I needed in addition to my about to be overripe plantains, were some eggs, sardines, tomatoes, salt, black pepper, olive oil.
These were prepped and cooked in 45 minutes flat. In time for Sunday brunch. It’s a great and easy alternative if you are cooking for the family or having friend over for a leisurely breakfast/lunch. I’m definitely going to make the recipe again with a few more filling ideas that I have in mind. This is a great way to use up your plantains outside of frying, boiling or making a porridge.
I decided to garnish my cupcakes with some cherry tomatoes I had leftover from a salad I made the day before. You can use other garnishes for these. Spring onions, cilantro, basil leaves are a few that come to mind. Something fresh to complement the flavours in the eggs.
We got stuck into these right away. They are quite filling. You can certainly make these ahead of time and then store them in the fridge for serving later. You can reheat them in the oven for a few minutes if you’d like them warm. You can also add these to a salad. I’m quite proud of myself with this stroke of genius (if I may say so myself) and my oga totally approved!
- 4 large eggs
- 1 can of sardines
- 3 cherry tomatoes / 1 small tomato to garnish
- Pinches of salt, black pepper
- 1 table spoon of olive oil
- 1. Peel the ripe plantains, place in a bowl and mash them with a fork, potato masher or a small pestle
- 2. Season the plantain with salt and pepper
- 3. Lightly coat a muffin pan with a little olive oil
- 4. Spoon the plantain mixture into the muffin pan and the create a well in each
- 5. Blind bake the plantain in the oven at 200 degrees C for 30 minutes until cooked through
- 6. Remove the plantain cups from the over and allow to cool
- 7. Boil 6 eggs until hard ~15 minutes. Once cooked set in a bowl of cold water for 10 minutes
- 8. Peel and mash the boiled eggs, add in salt and pepper to taste, and then add in the canned sardines. Note: be sure to remove the scales, bones and excess oil from sardines before adding them to the eggs. Mix together until all the ingredients are combined
- 9. Scoop the egg mixture into the plantain cups and garnish with sliced tomatoes
- 10. Serve
- You can add a variety of ingredients to your eggs including cooked onions, tomatoes, peppers etc