Mangos are in season so it’s a perfect excuse to make mango avocado salsa. We had some guests over the other day and I was feeling creative and generous, and so decided to serve them a snack of mango avocado & salsa with some air fried plantain chips. I’m loving my air fryer, by the way, even though I still need to investigate whether it is truly a healthy way to fake fry my food. Anyway, I remember as child, every time we had house guests my mother would offer them a mix of groundnut, chin chin, plantain chips with their soft drink or cup of tea. You would never come visit and not get something to eat. This was her way of trying to avoid them staying for a meal, which in Nigeria, happened often. People would just pop-in to say “hello” and chat with my parents, stay for hours with the hope of being invited to the dining table. Some were relentless and it was inevitable that we would have unplanned dinner guests. But others appreciated the snacks and moved on to the next house. Gone are those days. In the land of mobile phones and mobile internet, you better WhatsApp me or call or text before stopping by. Lol! It was actually nice to surprise our guests with a refreshing snack that fused our local plantain chips with the not so local idea of salsa. What do you serve your guests when they come knocking?
This dish was so easy to make. Measurements are not required, just chop and mix, but I’ve added rough quantities for the ingredients to give guidance.
Barely ripe plantains are what I prefer to use in making plantain chips. You can slice them any way you wish. I made my slices long thin to create crisps. You can also use a mandoline for slicing if you have one.
I made plantain chips and salsa in a previous post. You can find that recipe and instructions for making plantain chips here.
- 1/2 medium avocado seeded and diced
- 1/2 medium mango seeded and diced
- 1/4 red bell pepper diced
- 1/4 onion diced
- 1/2 cucumber diced
- 1 small bunch of cilantro (coriander)
- 1 small lime
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1. De-seed and peel the avocado by scooping out the flesh
- 2. De-seed and peel the mango. Then cut the flesh off of the seed
- 3. Dice the cucumber, red bell pepper, onion
- 4. Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix with a spoon
- 5. Rough chop the cilantro and mix into the bowl
- 6. Squeeze the juice of the lime into the bowl
- 7. season with salt and pepper as desired and serve